Sunday 15 February 2009

Oast Farm - Buxted 14th Feb 2009

This was the first time I'd met with the MaggotDrowners.com guy's, however when I turned up I was met with a warm welcome, which is always a good start.

I found out that there weas going only be 10 fishing today, we paid our peg fees and drew for the pegs, I drew peg 8.

Which was down a steep bank with a platform for a nice position. To my left was a large over hanging tree, straight out was open water and to the right a small bush in the water.

Having never fished here before I opted for setting up the pole at 6 meters, with one rig on the bottom and set another at about half depth. I'd brought all manner of baits, however I'd recently read an article on white pellets , I had some 4mm white feed pellets and some soft hook pellets, however the 4 mm hook pellets are very soft and when you put the hook into them they just brake up into peices. I used the faithful pellet bander and made up a few 4mm and 8 mm pellets.

At the all in I fed two swims one just to the left and the other 6 meter swim. I started to fish the 6 meter line and had bites from the off. After a few missed bites I managed to hook into a nice carp around 3-4lb. Then next bite I had another one around 2lb and it still wasn't even 9.30am.

The swim completely died so I tried the other swim and after about an hour nothing was producing at all. I tried the right hand side and still nothing, as the time was ticking and fast approaching 12.00, I went back on the 6 meter line. I started to get bites again and soon had another carp of around 2lb in the net. I was getting bites on the pellet however I was missing the fish, I noticed that the float was rocketing underwhich seemed to point out to roach more than carp, I changed to double red maggot and managed to get around 5 small roach. Then again the swim died.
I tried the righthand swim again and managed to get a small carp probably just over a 1lb.

Towards the end of the match BillG came down to see how we where all doing, He then told me I should have fished striaght out in front and fed with micro pellets and used corn on the hook. I told me you have to have confidence in this tactic as the carp will come and it could take a few hours however you must keep feeding. Wonderful I thought why is it these people always give you this information when you have 15 minutes left.

However it was a good days fishing and it didn't rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment