Wednesday 18 March 2009

House lake - Wylands 14th March 09


Got up there for around 8.00am met up with some of the same old faces and a few more new ones.

At the draw I managed peg 1 (tree section)favoured by some however I'd never fished this peg in any of the practice sessions I'd have prefered to draw the road section, however not to be.

As the lake fishes much the same I opted to fish double red maggot on the hook and feed 10-20 maggots a time, also introducing corn throughout the match.

I setup with itentions at fishing at 4metres, I'd already made up a sellection of pole rigs from 0.3grams to 1.5 grams just in case the wind did get up.

At the all in, I fed a couple of poaches of red maggots and to my right what looked like a good second swim I baited with some sweetcorn.

Within seconds the float went under and I was into my first fish a small skimmer around 4oz everytime I moved the float I fed some more red maggots.

After around 30 minutes I changed to sweetcorn and the bites just stopped , I changed back to red maggots and again more bites. I had a few pints of bronze maggots so I got them on the hook and was still getting fish.

I carried on catching for around 3 three hours, however when the sun came out this jst killed the fishing and the bites became harder and harder to get.

I changed to sweetcorn however still nothing. I tried my second swim and this was also dead.

For the last few hours of the match I struggled to put 2lb in the net.

It was the first Maggot Drowners match that I weighed in at I managed to finish 11th overall with 21lb 6oz. I was disappointed that I didn't draw the roadside as I'm sure I'd have doubled my weight on that section without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment