Friday 16 January 2009

Monk Lakes Xmas Open 28th Dec 08


Woke up on the Sunday morning took a look out the window and did it look cold out there yes it did. Anyway I had decided to go regardless of the weather.


As Monk's is about 40 minutes drive I left with plenty of time to spare, when I arrived there was already a few people there, as I'm new new to the area I didn't know anyone, which didn't bother me. I paid my money and waited for the draw, then it was my turn to pick, well there it was peg 35 on Lake 1 as I'd only fished Monk's once before on Lake 4 last summer, I knew this would be a good learning curve.

So out with the gear from the car and off to the peg, when I got there it was a second to an end peg for this match, the wind seemed to be getting up and the cold of the day I knew I would probably be better on the bottom with the feeder. I also set the pole up for around 11meters and a margin rig, however when plumbeting I noticed it was rather shallow at this end of the lake.
I noticed I'd left the maggots at home in the fridge (Thinking of that the fridge was probably warmer), the guy next to me gave me a handful of maggots, the whistle blew all in.
I fed a the margin area and the 11mtere I when went straight for the feeder rod with a banded pellet, cast out about half way.

I sat there and waited, a few fish was caught from other pegs, however nothing for me. Rebaited and cast out still nothing, after about hour and half I had my first bite, bang the tip went, I hit it it was on at last a fish, in the net it was a smallish carp around a 1lb.
I rebaited up and nothing for another hour, I changed off pellet onto corn and carried on feeding with micro pellets in the feeder, still nothing, with over 3 hours gone I changed to double red maggot, and cast out with a couple a minutes I had a bite, it was on and soon in the net, I cast out again with double maggot again the tip went round within minutes and another carp in the net. Then a third carp within next few minutes, I hope this was going to be a start of something, however it wasn't.

Disaster one gust of wind to much the pole rolled off the roller and smashed the 4th section, thank goodness for short 4's

Then finally another bite which resulted in a small skimmer bream also in the net, as the cold and wind dropped the temp I had a cup of soup and would you beleive the tip shot round I missed it, well that was the last of the bites and fish.
I was glad when I heard the whistle for all out I knew I hadn't done to bad as I had caught as I did notice numberous people leaving early. At the weigh in I had 4 carp and a skimmer for 8lb 8oz not bad for a hard day

No comments:

Post a Comment